Given that the northern hemisphere is basking in the summer heat and long evenings, Gridskipper has released its places to flirt outside in San Francisco. Well it’s too freaking cold here in good old Wellington to be making out (let alone getting to third base). Or is it? Recent email conversations between the Wellingtonistas have centered on the topic of dogging after Jo’s “park and ride” post. What is it? Who does it? And where oh where does it happen? We’ll let people out themselves on the second question but we can definitely help y’all with the third one.
1. Tournament car-parking building on Marion Street As Jo has already pointed out this building is a hot-bed (so to speak) for Wellington’s al fresco intimacy set. Conveniently located near Wellington’s red-light district and many bars, this concrete wall-less structure offers rates much lower than any inner-city hotel. Also the general public use means a higher number of potential spectators (apparently an integral part of dogging). While shelter from the rain is a plus, the harsh fluorescent lighting and smell of urine may put some off. More places of note and a map(!) after the jump
2. Princess Bay, site of the new Aquarium This was outed a dogging site well before the aquarium was mooted to be placed there. As with any entertainment venue it’s only popular when it hasn’t become bridge and tunnel (so to speak). So while the carpark is no longer the “place to be seen” it apparently still does a brisk trade (kind of like Matterhorn). So why is it so popular? Well.
- it’s a large carpark
- it is below road level hence harder for passing motorists to see the action
- no street lights means it’s even harder to see the action
- no residents nearby (though my friend who lives on the western slope of Houghton Valley said she often saw cars there flashing their lights at each other. How naive, she thought they were drug dealers)
3. The Petone Foreshore What’s better than sitting in your car and gazing across at the twinkling lights of Wellington? Apparently having sex with a stranger while you do it. It is a busy road but by parking one’s car parallel to the road you should gain some modicum of privacy (if that’s what you’re after when you’re having sex in public with stangers). A nearby McDonalds drive-through makes for an easy “intimate dinner for two”.
4. The Mt Victoria Lookout One of the Wellingtonistas was moved on from this spot once and only while on second base. Again the view gives this experience a touch of magic. The boy racers laying down diesel for burnouts might ruin the romance though.
5. Bolton St Ampitheatre Near the Bolton Hotel there are some historic little houses and an amphitheatre-shaped something marking where our (your?) ancestors were laid until the motorway came through. Nice to know people are still getting laid there then.
Disclaimer: The Wellingtonista takes no responsibility for amorous misadventures caused by this post. The Wellingtonista says you should always practice safe sex, always take a bat with you. The Wellingtonista would also like to point out that none of its members (especially the one who authored this post) have ever (EVER) been dogging and the above is mainly speculation and stuff they have overheard.