Candidates: Karunanidhi Muthu for Mayor and Eastern Ward
We’ve provided a set of questions for the mayoral and councillor candidates to answer. First 25 words to an answer get posted. Check our 2013 Election coverage for all responses as they come in.
Here’s the response from Karunanidhi Muthu for Mayor and Eastern Ward.
1. What should be the city council’s role in helping homeless people and beggars?
Partner with community organizations; lift economic growth; facilitate pathway to home and job and or help
2. What would you do to make Wellington more cycle and pedestrian friendly?
Balance is the answer. Balance the need of the motorists with cyclists and pedestrians and not to forget the retailers
3. How do you think traffic flow to the hospital and airport should be improved?
Implement current infrastructure projects- flyover & second tunnel; explore new transportation options to the airport and hospital and designate priority lanes for them
4. What are your views on the suggestion Wellington needs to be “more than just Weta and Government” – what do you think are Wellington’s strengths?
1)Absolutely right, but it would not change with yesterday’s ideas. Let us explore new and bold ideas. 2) Knowledge pool, Geography and being capital
5. What will YOU do to get more investment, businesses, and business confidence in Wellington?
International Investors Forum; Media / Film City; proactive promotion of Wellington; partner with govt, tertiary institutions and industry
6. What does Wellington need more of, and what does Wellington need less of?
More investments, knowledge industries, people and less bureaucracy
7. What would your city council provide for children and young people?
Livable safe city and opportunities to learn from industry leaders through our partnerships to have a pathway to careers
8. What steps would you take to encourage civic engagement?
Communicate and encourage participation and the value of it through various communities, charitable organisations such as Rotary
9. Tell us about your personal earthquake plan / What’s unusual about your earthquake kit?
Only after July quakes we took this seriously and prepared a kit and list of actions. DCH. Met our neighbors. Water sac for each is unusual.
10. Why should we vote for you?
Old ways aren’t enough. I have bold vision and plan to take Wellington forward, I have the passion, qualifications, experience and global connections to do it.
11. Where can we find out more about what you stand for?