Bus Angst #32

by noizyboy on February 13, 2007 in Transport

for god's sake, move down the back!Two words: bloody buses.

Actually, here’s a few more. This particular Wellingtonista had to wait forty minutes last evening for even one bus to turn up on his route. Of course, when one did, it was packed to the gunnels, so it sailed by the stop, as did the next, and the next. Finally, one only moderately packed bus did find space to fit me on board, so I did eventually get home, but what irks me is that in the forty minutes spent waiting at the bus-stop, I saw three Kilbirnie buses go by (the second two weren’t even that full), and two Houghton Bay buses. I mean, if they’re going to cancel buses, couldn’t they be a little more even-handed about it all?

Bus routes affected by the cancellations are listed here. I find it hard to believe that there are no #1, #4 and #32 cancellations after 4:30 today. As a precaution, I plan to back-walk a few stops to the Beehive end of Lambton Quay, to ensure, at least, that I can get onto a bus that will take me home, should one deem to actually turn up.

James Guthrie

James founded the Wellingtonista in 2004. He quickly enlisted many, actually talented writers so as to avoid having to do any actual work himself.

Mike Riversdale February 16, 2007 at 3:51 pm

… “I have just taken a $13000 pay cut, that is $249 a week people.(At this point he started spitting while he was shouting) 7 drivers quit last week, 5 yesterday and 8 tomorrow and we are already 33 drivers short. Some guy has come down from Auckland and reorganised all the shifts so that none of the drivers have enough time to get in between any of the shifts.

… obviously I didn’t read properly!

Tom February 16, 2007 at 5:24 pm

It’s interesting to note that Wellington’s public transport has one of the lowest subsidies in the world: and that was before the recent fare rises!

Hadyn February 16, 2007 at 3:56 pm

@ MikeyMike:
Does “Ratepayers subsidise Stagecoach Wellington to the tune of $11m a year. The council’s policy is not to pay for services that are not delivered and we fully intend to implement that policy in this case”
mean that we, the people, are getting money back off Stagecoach?

@ James:
Traffic was terrible through town but seemed normal along the Quay and the Hutt Road was almost empty. It was even backed up most of the way down Tasman St. I blame some random roadworks-school day combo.

Mike Riversdale February 16, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Mike (not myself, “ShoppingFix” Mike) – let;s hope it gets better

noizyboy February 16, 2007 at 3:51 pm

It’s interesting actually, last night the number of #1 and #4s seemed to be back to normal, but they were running extremely late.

The driver we got actually gave the entire bus a running commentary of the drive, and he blamed the delays on the bypass.

Something was definitely holding up traffic. The drive through town was a crawl, Kent Tce was log-jammed, and north-bound traffic was backed up all the way to Newtown along Adelaide Rd/Riddiford St. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it quite that bad before, and, judging by the snail’s pace we made around the Basin, it wasn’t much better for people heading through the Vic Tunnel towards the motorway.

mikeymike February 16, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Who’s a naughty boy. Don’t do it again!

“Greater Wellington councillors have warned bus operator Stagecoach Wellington that it was failing its customers and that its poor service during the last two weeks would no longer be tolerated…”

Mike