The Wellingtonista’s top ten things to do in Wellington
This list was published in abbreviated form in the first issue of FishHead, which is having its launch party tonight. Here it is in all its smoking-promoting, Oriental Bay-enraging glory…
1. Wander aimlessly around the Cuba Quarter: window-shop, have coffee, sit in the Mall & people-watch, draw or photograph the buildings.
2. Go to the waterfront on a sunny day: Put your polaroid sunglasses on, then get something nice in a cone from Kaffee Eis on the waterfront, and go spotting eagle rays in the Frank Kitts park lagoon. Don’t forget to point them out to swimmers and people in small vessels.
3. Swim on the South Coast: Oriental Bay is for pussies. Any of the beaches near Seatoun are where it’s at, or if you’re hard enough, brave the surf and the cold at Lyall Bay.
4. Go bush, then go posh: Zealandia’s all very well, but take the #14 bus to Otari/Wilton Bush for free native bushery, waterfalls, tui and an 800-year-old rimu. At night, take the #14 in the other direction to peek into all the expensive real estate along Oriental Parade and Roseneath where the residents obligingly leave all their lights on, and imagine what it would be like to be rich.
5. Hide out: Go to almost any bar that’s tucked away upstairs, in a basement or down an alley; Hooch, Hawthorn, Library, Good Luck, Watusi, Mighty Mighty are all gems.
6. Get cultured: Te Papa and the City Gallery are obvious choices, but add visits to Manky Chops, the Adam Art Gallery and Museum of Wellington City and Sea and you’ll feel much more well-rounded (and sore-footed).
7. To market, to market: Head to Waitangi Park on Sundays for the City Market/Harbourside Market combo, plus fresh fish when the boat pull up to the dock.
8. Picnic on Parliament’s lawn: We don’t mind if you have a sneaky smoke or a drink while you’re there, either. Try to imagine being able to do that in any other country.
9. Do a whirlwind tour of the Hutt: No, really! Go to the NewDowse then head to Petone to stock up on amazing cheese at Cultured , lust after all the pretty things at Wanda Harland then bottle your own artesian water.
10. Read The Wellingtonista every day