Candidates: Iona Pannett for Greens in Lambton Ward
We’ve provided a set of questions for the mayoral and councillor candidates to answer. First 25 words to an answer get posted. Check our 2013 Election coverage for all responses as they come in.
1. What should be the city council’s role in helping homeless people and beggars?
Supporting homeless organisations and providing affordable housing so people don’t have to live
on the street.
2. What would you do to make Wellington more cycle and pedestrian friendly?
Lower speed limits, more investment into cycle lanes and footpaths, and no increase in roading
3. How do you think traffic flow to the hospital and airport should be improved?
Light rail, more investment for cycling and walking. No flyover or second Mt Vic tunnel.
4. What are your views on the suggestion Wellington needs to be “more than just Weta
and Government” – what do you think are Wellington’s strengths?
Compact city with a wonderful natural environment and smart people who can drive sustainable
5. What will YOU do to get more investment, businesses, and business confidence in
Earthquake strengthen buildings, grow the social enterprise sector, improve resource consenting
processes, modernise council computer systems to make it easier to do business with Council.
6. What does Wellington need more of, and what does Wellington need less of?
Less motorways, more jobs.
7. What would your city council provide for children and young people?
Better bus services, indoor play areas, apprenticeship and intern opportunities at Council, more
engagement, support for young people starting businesses.
8. What steps would you take to encourage civic engagement?
Invest in more technological tools to help with engagement, listen more, organise more forums,
devolve some decision making responsibility to communities.
9. Tell us about your personal earthquake plan / What’s unusual about your earthquake
Priority making sure my kids and family are safe and then assisting my constituents. Nothing
unusual about my kit, have just included items from www.getthru.govt.nz.
10. Why should we vote for you?
I will continue to be an effective voice for Lambton, I’m a hard worker and effective leader.
11. Where can we find out more about what you stand for?
Or just give me a call on 384-3382.