Wellington Music Month 6: a shameful secret.

by Alan on May 19, 2007 in Music

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketSo alone among the Wellingtonista, I have a terrible secret: apart from an early album from the Black Seeds, I have no current Wellington Music in my collection.

None.

Not even Fat Freddy’s Drop.

In my major period of buying music, Wellington music for me was a bit fringe and wacky, and worst of all, not on Flying Nun. There were occasional songs that caught my attention: Bill Direen & the Bilders’ Do the Alligator; that amusing Elephunk song; one or two songs from the Six Volts… and that’s about it. Wellington was full of arty jazzy stuff that frankly I despised.

Time has moved on – about 20 years in fact – and somehow Wellington’s musical renaissance has passed me by. This is not good.

So I need help!

What are the top five albums by Wellington bands in the last five years? Answers please: I must remove the shameful stain of my musical ignorance!

Alan Macdougall

MicheleConsalvo May 21, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Don’t like Shihad anymore? Say it Aint so!

ratpony May 21, 2007 at 6:22 pm

i’m too cool. i don’t like shihad anymore. nyah. and i said phoenix foundation. geez. hey lets throw luke buda and sam scotts’ albums out there eh?

Tom May 21, 2007 at 5:52 pm

“Are you lot all “too cool” to be nominating Shihad then?”

Yes. Yes we are.

Except for Jo of course. And Noizy. Oh and Hadyn too. Whoops, and Stephen nominated Phoenix Foundation too. So, are you “too cool” to actually read all the posts before slagging them off?

But the rest of us (i.e. me and Alan) aren’t closet bogans. Hadyn’s from Tauranga: what’s your excuse?

Joanna May 21, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Um, I put Shihad, the Phoenix Foundation and HLAH in my top five songs.

noizyboy May 22, 2007 at 8:58 am

Are you lot all “too cool” to be nominating Shihad then?

as per the above comments, I think quite a few of us mentioned them. I’m pretty sure I said they’d released the best NZ rock album ever. (checks. Yes, I did).

Anonymous May 21, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Are you lot all “too cool” to be nominating Shihad then? None of the top fives have mentioned them.
What about HLAH? D-Super?
And nobody’s voted for Phoenix Foundation, although they have at least been mentioned.
It’s not all about the dub, you know. Some of us find that BBQ reggae boring.

Lily May 21, 2007 at 3:18 pm

How about Recloose, does he count? Hiatus on the Horizon is great, and I *love* the first one Cardiology! You MUST buy Trinity Roots and Pheonix albums, quality stuff. AS for FFD, if you didn’t buy it, then who did? It’s been on the charts for over two years now!!!!

ratpony May 23, 2007 at 11:33 pm

it’s not at all uncommon.

noizyboy May 22, 2007 at 11:10 am

oh, the ‘wank’ one? was tempted to leave it, but it irked me somewhat.

as FotC sing: ‘why? why? what? why? be more constructive with your feedback!’

Joanna May 22, 2007 at 10:38 am

What’s up with the haters recently? Like the comments you deleted…