Te Papa turns TEN
In my early days in Wellington it was a goal of my ex-wife and I to at least stay in Wellington for the opening of Te Papa .. and now, here we both are able to celebrate its 10th Birthday.
Who remembers the mural-ed fence around the building site with the wee holes to check out progress?
I love Te Papa and it is just awesome to be able to take my son and daughter along to it as well (of course they adore the place). Mind you those coloured panels facing Cable Street are still a bit crap in my mind.
Te Papa (that’s “(y)our place”) celebrates its first decade on Saturday 16th February with a host of events including:
(after the break)
- Super Sausage Sizzle. BBQ food for sale.
- The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra (NZSO), conductor Hamish McKeich, with Whirimako Black, Debra Wai Kapohe, Derek Hill, and Mere Boynton
- Cadbury – chocolate fish giveaway
- The Beat Squad – Samba/Funk/Hip
- Wellington Ukelele Orchestra
- 21st Century Indian Dance, Bollywood workshop and performance.
- Queen of the Whole Universe’ pageant – drag queens costumed extravaganza
- Te Papa Closes – Pyrotechnics over Harbour
Now if that’s not an eclectic line up then I don’t know what is. AND, fireworks over the harbour – cooool!
Check out the latest 10th Anniversary Celebrations on Te Papa’s website