Sculpture Garden

by stephen clover on February 7, 2008 in Art

This is one of my favourite places in Wellington:

… and if anyone ever tries to do it harm, as I’ve heard rumours of happening in the past, well… they just better watch out.

Sorry for the crappy photo. Stupid phone. Looks like I also managed to catch a flying rat in full, uh, flight.

Stephen Clover

Stephen Clover swears too much, drinks too much, and is frequently being sent not-safe-for-work weblinks by his amusing friends. He lives for music and art. He also worships at the same church as Tom Beard.

Peter June 18, 2008 at 4:22 am

Here is a 360 panorama of Statue Square. The statues in it are great, and I loved coming across them when in Wellington.

Hadyn June 18, 2008 at 8:02 am

Oh my God those are awesome! It actually made Bowen House look good.

stephen clover February 12, 2008 at 12:24 pm

@Anonymouse: what the hell??? Since when does appreciation of (public) sculpture have anything to do with written English skills?

Wanna elaborate?

sue February 9, 2008 at 12:48 pm

well said lovely jo

Hadyn February 13, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Leigh, just take a look. There’s a wee plaque by the bench that says what they’re all called.

Hadyn February 13, 2008 at 1:21 pm

nice pot-plant 🙂

Joanna February 9, 2008 at 10:23 am

I don’t think Stephen will be taking your criticisms to heart until you learn to post with your name. Not to put words in his mouth or anything.

stephen clover February 12, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Looks pretty good from my new desk on the top floor of the Treasury building, too!

Leigh February 13, 2008 at 10:49 am

the waka, the cairn and the bird?
I thought it was the handle of a taiaha, the tail of a whale and the thingie that you tie boats to. Sorry, i’m no boatee – that word didn’t come to mind. Can anyone verify what they represent – it’s nice to know for sure since i walk past there every work day/

stephen clover February 13, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Halyard?

It’s neat that someone can come up with 3 completely different interpretations of the forms. I like it.

@Hadyn, yeah — there was no way I could not have something not reflected in the window glass (without shifting everything around — and I’d only just left the security briefing and I didn’t want anyone to think I was teh oarsome spy) (sorry about the spelling there, Anonymouse), and I rather liked the ephemeral pot-plant look.

sue February 8, 2008 at 7:04 pm

i will admit, despite my earlier far too grumpy post, which i deleted, that it was amazing watching them being built.

and i shall try to not be angry or sad but focus on the shiny next time i visit there

Robyn February 8, 2008 at 2:34 pm

You know what’s cool about this? Well, I was trying to work out its location. The photo makes it look like it’s in some large, old isolated public garden, maybe with some historic building in the distance.

Then I thought about it, and went to Google Maps and realised that – OMG – it’s right next to Parliament.

Regardless of what used to be there, those sculptures are really cool. I want to feeeel them plz.

Anonymous February 9, 2008 at 8:22 am

Kinda? Gotta? Hate “on” something?

Don’t think I’ll bother taking aesthetic advice from you, Stephen, thanks all the same, until you learn to appreciate (and speak) educated English.

Hadyn February 15, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I will never look at the park in the same way again

Anonymous February 15, 2008 at 9:15 am

One of the people I worked with when I working in the beehive used to call it the sex toy garden…

llew February 12, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Wooh! You’re a Treasury Gnome?

Che Tibby February 9, 2008 at 8:20 am

find some brickwork in auckland.

that said though, stephen is right on. it is a nice spot. the only downside is the massive panopticon next store.

i *always* feel like i’m being watched when i scurry past it.