Hooray for Wellywood

by Robyn on March 9, 2010 in Uncategorised

Everyone knows that while Wellington has a world-class, award-winning film production industry, it’s been sorely lacking one serious thing: a giant sign proclaiming WELLYWOOD.

Well, our prayers have been answered! By June a giant WELLYWOOD sign will be erected in the hills of Miramar, and will serve as a visual distraction for passengers suffering a bumpy approach to the airport.

Quoted in the Dom Post, Mayor Kerry sez:

"The sign will be one of the first things people will see when they arrive in Wellington. They will be left in no doubt that this is the heart and soul of New Zealand’s film industry."

Unless you make the approach from the Lyall Bay end of the runway. In which case, you will be left thinking you’ve just arrived in Wellington, not the world centre of the film-making universe.

Oh, I suppose I shouldn’t mock it. After all, the Hollywood sign turned that small Los Angeles village into a film-making centre second only to Wellington.

And, to be fair, it’s a little embarassing that Mosgiel has a giant sign in the hills but Wellington doesn’t yet.

Robyn Gallagher

Robyn used to live in Wellington, but now divides her time between coastal Waikato and wherever. She can be found over at her long-running blog, watching too many music videos, or generally mucking around on the internet.

Jack Yan March 10, 2010 at 10:49 am

Leave it to me, bro.

max March 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I wonder how long it would be until someone vandalizes it or a nice strong southerly blows it apart?? One can only hope

Steve March 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Does anybody actually use the word “Wellywood” (I mean those over 13 and excepting the media) in intelligent conversation? Hollywood is a bona fide suburb. Wellywood is an infantile wannabe term. The sign would be like some bad taste bling round the neck of a try hard.

Joe March 10, 2010 at 7:33 pm

They should put some bitchin’ rims on the O’s of the sign

Bob Goh March 10, 2010 at 8:48 pm

man! I love this city!!

stephen clover March 11, 2010 at 10:03 am

Jack Yan March 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I love your analogy, Steve, and I don’t think I have heard the term since we were making those blockbusters here. It’s like the false claim that people called Judy Bailey ‘the mother of the nation’. Who ever called her that outside of the TVNZ publicity department?

The term Wellywood now simply means ‘crap sign’, based on the chats I’ve been having. In the last week, the meaning has shifted to this.

Mike Riversdale March 10, 2010 at 8:09 am

On reflection I think this subject (not this post specifically) is garnering far too much hot air … whilst I still think it’s a bit naff I’m certainly not gonna run as mayor on the subject 😉

morgue March 10, 2010 at 7:47 am

That’s why I reckon an exclamation mark would be good.

Oh! Or they could underline the first bit, and add a smaller second sign:

WELLYWOOD
Geddit?

Robyn March 9, 2010 at 11:39 pm

If it is tongue in cheek, then the sign should say:

WELLYWOOD (LOLZ)

phil_style March 10, 2010 at 5:49 am

Someone should set up a fund for spray paint (if you know what I mean) if that thing ever gets built.

tomek March 10, 2010 at 6:43 am

Well, and I thought that I’d never have any reasons to even consider moving to Auckland.

How embarrassing.

-t

Jeffrey March 9, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I can’t wait until someone makes a big Y and appends it to the end

kowhai March 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Preach it.

Joanna March 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Wait a second, Mike & Tash are behind this?

Jack Yan March 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Alan, you bet your bottom dollar I am against this sign—and if Wellington Airport has this much money to burn, how about just donating it to some worthy causes, or giving us cheaper parking?

Last time I looked, we didn’t need a sign to take home three Oscars and tell the world we have world-class creatives in Wellington.

A Mazed March 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I am amazed that so many people don’t get it that the WELLYWOOD proposal is ironic; half ONYA celebratory & half self mocking in the best kiwi mode. I don’t know what expertise in film industry finance Gareth claims, but I understood these decisions were primarily based on costs and access to expertise with a bit of trust & personal connection thrown in – not airport suburb signage. (Personally I am always wary of people who don’t know the meaning of weary!)

max March 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm