Wishbone blows, harder

by stephen clover on January 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

In case kinda nasty and over-priced food, and rumoured worker exploitation weren’t reason enough to dislike the (surprisingly-successful) Wishbone, how about this for some odious sentiment:

Wishbone's sucky quote

Said by Barbra Streisand, apparently

The internets suggest that the quote should actually read “eating only the top half of each slice”, but frankly that doesn’t even make sense.

Get it together, Wishbone.  How about “Success for me is being able to buy ten melons and donate nine to a foodbank”?

Stephen Clover

Stephen Clover swears too much, drinks too much, and is frequently being sent not-safe-for-work weblinks by his amusing friends. He lives for music and art. He also worships at the same church as Tom Beard.

Thomas Beagle January 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Why doesn’t the proper form of the quote make sense? The inner parts of melons tend to be sweeter.

Was this article really worth posting? It reveals more about the author than it does about Wishbone and neither are very interesting.

Kane Hopkins January 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I agree that the quote is a bit tasteless but I don’t think it represents a wider corporate ethos. In their defence, Wishbone are extremely generous in donating their leftover food to the food redistribution charity, Kaibosh, who pass it on to foodbanks and other people-helping organisations. Hundreds of struggling individuals and families benefit from their actions every week.

Not knowing anything about how Wishbone comes up with their prices, but if paying a bit more means they can help others out then I’m still happy to buy the raspberry slice.

Emma January 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Even before Kaibosh was around Wishbone has been donating their leftovers to charities.

stephen clover January 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm

You’re stretching things to call this an article, Thomas. Thanks for the melon consumption geometry lesson though – I agree that if that is the intended meaning th en it does indeed make sense.

Donating leftover food to charity: BIG mark in the pros column for Wishbone then, eh.

Tom January 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Maybe they should start selling muffin tops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muffin_Tops).

housemonkey January 19, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I bought a sandwich there the other day, it was ok, but the woman who served me was really nice, should have talked to her more. Sigh.

max January 20, 2011 at 12:33 pm

A bit overpriced but I find their sandwiches quite tasty and their people friendly. I doubt they would get paid any less than your average hospo/food person

Sasha January 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm

What shop was that @housemonkey? 🙂

@ Stephen Clover
We are told to write those quotes, and we have to take bags of leftover food around to other stores for Kaibosh to pick up most nights, not that we mind because it is for such a good cause.

I have personally worked there for over 18 months, and although its not the most ideal job for me, it is definitely the amazing customers that keep me going.
As for the “rumoured worker exploitation” What is this so called rumour? Please elaborate. I do not feel exploited in the least, nor do any of my colleagues, that I know of. A steady job in a tough recession, decent breaks and a good wage, isn’t that what we all yearn for?

RUBitter? January 22, 2011 at 10:08 am

It sounds like the author has some serious issues with Wishbone – judging by the comments I have just read, seems like Wishbone have a loyal following, fantastic staff, and great food distribution scheme with Kaibosh… Getting snarky over a billboard quote (that was written by a celebrity) does make you sound quite petty, Stephen.

Ryan January 24, 2011 at 6:11 am

Wishbone often display quotes that promote being greedy as awesome. It’s pretty dubious. I’m glad someone finally called them out on it.

Stephanie Hunt January 24, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Great free publicity you are all providing Wishbone!

I happen to like their food – particularly in Christchurch airport! And they do not have any dubious quotes that I have seen. Is is just the Wellington store?

Gusto April 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Glad to see this article and in particular the words “Worker Exploitation”. I worked in the kitchen/production area and experienced first hand the exploits of this company. 12 hour shift with only one half hour break? that was the norm on night shift, forget the face and food you see in these little stores they run. It’s what goes on behind the scenes that needed to be investigating and maybe still should. Bullying was also common if you were not of a set Polynesian background. Sorry to upset any loyal fans of this company, but Wishbone is not about Sandwiches at all.