It’s Shrove Tuesday, let’s talk religion!

by Joanna on February 21, 2012

Ha ha ha, of course we’re kidding. Let’s talk about pancakes instead.We wanna know where Wellington’s best pancakes are at.

Today for lunch I went to Cafe Panama (in fact, I am still there. Woo!), and this is what I ate:

I thought I was ordering standard pancakes with banana and bacon for $11.50, but she asked me at the counter if I wanted white chocolate & raspberry ones, so I was like, oh hells yes. And it cost me an extra $2 for not really a whole lot extra flavour. The bacon was really good and crispy though, and I loved that I was given a whole bottle of maple (flavoured) syrup, except it had a funny pourer on it that really limited my flow. Still though, it was a good Shrove Tuesday lunch, and the table was big enough for me to read the Dom Post at, which is always a bonus.

Other pancakes of note around Wellington? Well Cafe Kiallas in Newtown has great rhubarb compote and cinnamon marscapone that they serve with theirs, but the service has really gone down hill over the past couple of years. Where’s your favourite place to get your cake’o the pan on?

Heather February 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Southern Cross is the only place I know of in Wellington that does blueberry pancakes where they put the blueberries IN the pancakes. This is a crucial distinction – if you ask me there aren’t enough pancakes with stuff in them/ adjustments to the batter in Welly. But I haven’t been there in a while so I’m not sure it’s still on the menu.

Greg Bodnar February 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I can confirm that Recovery Room also puts blueberries in the batter.

Kim February 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I eat pancakes pretty much every time I go for breakfast, which apparently isn’t that often any more because I can’t think of many places I’ve eaten them lately.
Thunderbird does spring to mind though, the actual pancakes looked small but I could barely finish them. They were delicious.
Now they just need to work on getting less fatty bacon and grilling their bananas.

I had a huge stack at Medici in Martinborough as well. Cream, bananas, bacon, & spiced blueberries. Too filling to finish.

Sounds like I need to get to the Southern Cross for breakfast sometime.

Greg Bodnar February 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Cafe Neo does a Sunday all-you-can-eat pancake special. Having said that, I could have eaten more when I tried it, but everyone else had already stopped. They have a range of toppings, both sweet and savoury, and you can switch up between shifts. There was a wait between rounds, but that may actually save you from exploding. Pancake quality was pretty good and the toppings were quite nice.

Joanna February 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

“Do I look like a man who’s had all he can eat?

David February 9, 2016 at 8:39 am

Did you drive around trying to find more pancakes after they closed the restaurant you were in?

Joe February 21, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I haven’t been for a couple of years, but Nikau used to do a delicious stack of fluffy pancakes accompanied by copious amounts of butter and syrup.

sue February 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm

those pancakes moved to reka when the owners sold up, Reka now includes an amazing vanilla syrup

Joe February 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm

The owners sold up?! When did that happen?

Also, I am still hungry for pancakes a day later.

hungryandfrozen February 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I’ve been to Nikau recently and can confirm the pancakes are brilliant.

I personally could’ve done with more butter, but most people would probably be happy enough with what’s there.

Logan February 21, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Just had pancakes the other day at Public – they were great! Vanilla. 🙂

Also, the little cafe in Karori (by the Library) have great pancakes with a lemon-y flavour.

SimonBK February 22, 2012 at 3:35 am

I haven’t had them for a couple of years but Capitol made/makes fantastic pancakes. -Berries were put on top before they went under the grill to finish and the pancake fluffed up around it. Delicious!

sue February 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm

i would love to hear of decent gluten free pancakes please
-the previously delicious gingerbread pancakes at meow were now seem to be served over dry or with runny batter

Since Kiallas offered me more bacon instead of tomatoes the other day i think it must depend on which member of the family is serving you.

I also observed some super amazing chocolate chip pancakes at Baobab Cafe on sunday.

Joanna February 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm

OH! Baobab! Theirs are amaaaaaaaaazing and seasonal – the pistachio ones with grilled nectarines were particular highlights, but they can be incredibly sloooooow in arriving.