The Bats Ride Again

by Martha Craig on October 15, 2012 in Music

The Bats are playing in Wellington on Saturday, November 3rd at Bar Bodega. As a frequent attendee of their gigs I can attest to their consistent awesomenes. The loyal following of groupies, supporters for over 30 years in many instances, indicates I’m not alone.

Indulge me by enjoying some classic Bats with North by North, and then let us know in the comments your favourite Bats song or memory, and we’ll pop you in the draw for two tickets to see the gig.

Martha Craig

Martha Craig lives in the Hutt, ok? It's ok. She spends her days in her shop Wanda Harland mooching about and gossiping.

Stephen Viles October 16, 2012 at 10:20 am

North by North has always been an energetic song to finish their set. I’ve seen Paul break a string playing it (not too common for a bass player). Also, the Bats played the Alpine Ice staking rink in Christchurch as part of a mid-winter festival in 1989 or 1990, rugged up in coats and scarves, with the punters skating as well as dancing.

I can’t use the tickets, but I’d really like the Bats to play in Christchurch! Their site says “Looking for venues in Chch and Dunedin” — both Bats hometowns, shame!

Julie Warmington October 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm

My favourite song by The Bats is definitely North by North. I remember winning a copy of In Love With These Times when I was at school from Tearaway magazine (remember that?) and being over the moon and it had that song on it. It was my first indie record and a turning point in my musical direction. I also have fond memories of seeing them in Dunedin at The Empire…I tried to find the date online (to fulfill the gig geek in me) but there does not seem to be a definitive gigography…

Paul Crosswell October 17, 2012 at 4:54 am

Block of wood is my all time favourite. Everytime I’ve seen them in Wellington they have closed with this in the encore. That song just smokes along. The best gig i remember was at The Adelaide for the launch of The Guilty Office. Small venue, tight band and a happy audience.

Stephen Viles October 17, 2012 at 10:10 am

As Paul Crosswell will know, Kaye and Paul swap guitar and bass for Block of Wood. I went up after their last gig at Wunderbar (Lyttelton) to say “Thanks for doing the instrument swap, I haven’t seen that since the ’80s” (they laughed)

whio October 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Smoking Her Wings takes me back in time to the 90’s in the South, great music.

Martha October 30, 2012 at 10:06 am

And Julie wins the tickets! Thanks for your memories and comments all.