Five Other Things to do in Newtown:
A post had been planned about how you might like to take a tour around the fabulous architecture of Wellington Hospital, and suggesting that the best way to take such a tour is while lying zonked out on great drugs on a hospital bed, being pushed by a security guard, but as being sick is so last month, here are better things you should do in Newtown instead:
1. Go to the Zoo. You could even touch the red pandas if you’re particularly lucky.
2. Go eat a mountain of fries at Malo. $5.50 buys a very very large bowl of thick crisp chips and great garlic mayo. Make sure to share them or you won’t be able to walk afterwards. Wellingtonista has also had many happy Singaporean dinners at Chumeez, and adores the duck pancakes at Beijing Restaurant.
3. Buy Thai Red Bull from the Asian section of the small cramped New World. Mmmm syrupy. (Wellingtonista recommends it as a good base for Punch, particularly when mixed with soda, cranberry juice, vodka and blue curacao).
4. Check out some hot young talent before they end up on Shortland Street in a show at Toi Whakaari New Zealand Drama School.
5. Go celebrity spotting. According to the Wellington City Libraries, noted celebrities who live in Newtown include Emma Paki – and also Miss Natalie Biz of course.
What’s there to do in your suburb?
As spotted in Island Bay. Yet another fantastic example of the real estate industry taking liberties with the actual meaning of words. What’s really good, though, is the ‘VIEWING BY APPOINTMENT’ bit on the Professionals’ sign. You can tell the person writing it has started off with nice big bold spacing, but then realised too […]
The never-ending summer stream of Wellington suburban carnivals and fairs continues on its merry way with the start of the ten day Newtown Festival tomorrow (Fri 4 Mar). The big day is Sunday’s Fair Day, when Riddiford Street will be closed to traffic, allowing a plethora of stalls, entertainers and general mayhem to hit the […]
I must admit, I’ve never actually seen a tuatara in the flesh (in the scales?) before. So the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary are having a special Tuatara Day to allow me and the no doubt many other urbanites who haven’t seen our most famous lizard the chance to check out their resident reptile – Oliver – […]
The Island Bay Festival wraps up this weekend with one of the highlights being the Ribble Street Trolley Derby on Saturday afternoon. The Trolley WOF’s have already been sorted, so you’re too late if you want to join in the racing, but there’s plenty of danger and excitement to be had even just being a […]
If you missed the last ever Whopper Chopper down at Island Bay, then be sure to make the most of the incredibly warm weather with a day by the beach this weekend, when the 21st Annual Island Bay Festival gets under way. There’s all sorts of good stuff for young and old. The suburb’s main […]